Spiral's Conspiracy Café
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Sweden, an Experiment Turns Shorter Workdays Into Bigger Gains

2 posters

Go down

In Sweden, an Experiment Turns Shorter Workdays Into Bigger Gains Empty In Sweden, an Experiment Turns Shorter Workdays Into Bigger Gains

Post by Ria Sun May 22, 2016 10:15 am

In Sweden, an Experiment Turns Shorter Workdays Into Bigger Gains

GOTHENBURG, Sweden — Arturo Perez used to come home frazzled from his job as a caregiver at the Svartedalens nursing home. Eight-hour stretches of tending to residents with senility or Alzheimer’s would leave him sapped with little time to spend with his three children.

But life changed when Svartedalens was selected for a Swedish experiment about the future of work. In a bid to improve well-being, employees were switched to a six-hour workday last year with no pay cut. Within a week, Mr. Perez was brimming with energy, and residents said the standard of care was higher.

“What’s good is that we’re happy,” said Mr. Perez, a single father. “And a happy worker is a better worker.”

Sweden has long been a laboratory for initiatives to strike a better work-life balance, part of a collective ideal that treating workers well is good for the bottom line. Many Swedish offices use a system of flexible work hours, and parental leave and child care policies there are among the world’s most generous.

The experiment at Svartedalens goes further by mandating a 30-hour week. An audit published in mid-April concluded that the program in its first year had sharply reduced absenteeism, and improved productivity and worker health.

Full story:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/21/business/international/in-sweden-an-experiment-turns-shorter-workdays-into-bigger-gains.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits&_r=0
Ria
Ria

Back to top Go down

In Sweden, an Experiment Turns Shorter Workdays Into Bigger Gains Empty Re: In Sweden, an Experiment Turns Shorter Workdays Into Bigger Gains

Post by Tonz Mon May 23, 2016 8:12 am

I always felt that a 4 day working week is more than enough.

I would even opt for a three day working week and one day per week community work , say that day is accumulated to a mounth or two and so on.

Just my rebel in me so that a slave isnt only a slave.
If we all do our bit life wouldn't need be so expensive. The community work would have to include everyone no matter of there position or wealth.
Tonz
Tonz

Back to top Go down

In Sweden, an Experiment Turns Shorter Workdays Into Bigger Gains Empty Re: In Sweden, an Experiment Turns Shorter Workdays Into Bigger Gains

Post by Ria Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 am

I could not agree more Tonz on every point...... Employment for all as well.
Ria
Ria

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down